Wednesday, April 04, 2012

3D Gamelab

It's been a long time since I posted. Last summer I discovered 3D Gamelab and really liked the concept of gamification. I couldn't afford the training at that point in time, but when they announced they were going to offer another session I jumped on the chance to participate.

3D Gamelab is a way to add a gaming overlay to the educational curriculum. It allows the use of standards when creating the game. Students are able to complete quests, earn badges, rewards and awards. The quests can include many different activities both online and offline.

As a teacher of the deaf among other things I work with students helping them to understand their hearing loss, the equipment they might need, and a big emphasis is on self advocacy skills. If they don't learn to advocate for themselves-life can be pretty tough.

My goal at this point, and of course it will be refined as time goes on, is to create quests for students to follow to learn these things.

One of the coolest things about this training is that we are learning within the framework of the Gamelab. We complete the quests, earn experience points to level up, gain badges, awards and achievements. Once I complete the training I will be able to start building my own game.

As in the past when I was into developing different technology projects, I invite you along for the ride. I'll post information about the design process, the quests, badges etc.

No comments: